A few of my favorite things


Everything that appliances can do can be accomplished by you one way or another. But having them at your disposal makes you a lot likelier to make that labour intensive recipe you've been staring at for months. You don't need the fanciest appliance money can buy, just something sturdy, possibly by a dependable brand. You can often find great appliances for a bargain. I got my Slow Cooker at a garage sale for $2. Stores like Ross & thrift stores have items marked down. In this day & age it's unlikely you need to purchase them from a department store or even a Big-Box store like Target or Walmart.

Over my years of cooking I have fallen in love with quite a few kitchen appliances. They are a luxury of convenience. Most of them stay tucked away under my cupboards but when I dust them off to use them, they save me so much time & elbow grease.  I know many can be an investment so start small. Pick the one you long for the most. The holiday season is right around the corner, so why not add it to your wishlist.


Here are some of my favorites: 


Slow Cooker (Crock Pot 4 Quart slow cooker)
This is probably the most useful & convenient if you struggle to make home cooked meals happen. I call it the magic meal maker because just about anything you put in there comes out delicious. Just throw in whatever sounds good (thawed or frozen) & be on with your day. I leave mines on even when I'm away from home, just make sure there are no potential hazards surrounding it. Also there are a plethora of slow cooker meal prep recipes out there for inspiration.  

Spiralizer (Veggetti ) 
This is one of my most used appliances.I have the Veggetti which spirilizes by twisting the vegetable. You may want to get a had crank spiralizer because it's a lot faster & you can spiralize any size vegetable unlike the Veggetti which only fits narrow cylinders. It's great for making noodles out of zucchini, carrots & cucumber.  

Food Processor (Cuisinart/ Hamilton Beach)
I own a large one & a smaller one. The smaller one I bought with D&B tickets. They are incredibly handy to chop large batches of garlic, make pestos & mayo. My large one has a shredding, slicing & chopping attachment. Need some cauliflower rice? Done. Want those stinky daikon shredded for your kimchi? You got it.  

Mandoline (Oxo V-blade Mandoline slicer)
I use this when I want paper thin vegetables. Good for salads, making chips or dehydrating. The thickness of the slice is adjustable. Also has a crinkle cut & julienne attachment.

Juicer (Black & Decker)
This one really is a treat if you love fresh juice & cocktails. It's not my favorite to clean as it is a little tedious but as long as you wash it immediately after using you won't have a problem.  I love making low-carb vegetable juices. My go-to combo is celery, cucumber, greens & lemon. It's also great for making fresh tomato juice for Bloody Marys, free from all the junk. 

Dehydrator (Nesco)
This really comes in handy for making for making low-carb/paleo snacks. The homemade jerky I made with this machine is the best I've ever had. You can make veggie chips, crackers, dried chilies, garlic...the possibilities are endless! It's a very versatile appliance. 

Like anything you own, to keep it in good condition you have to provide a bit of care. Maintenance such as washing & wiping down a product at every use will keep it like-new over the years. For the things I use less often like my dehydrator & juicer I keep the appliance in its box. These actions can help to ensure your investment pays itself off for years to come!




Comments

Popular Posts